Hip Hop Production Course | Los Angeles
Learn how to record, write, collaborate, and produce Hip Hop! Styles include Boom Bap, East Coast, West Coast, Southern, and Trap. Explore and craft the skills to make your drums knock and your 808s rumble. Create and shape your own sound using different sampling techniques, and modern synthesis. Learn the skills needed unique to Hip Hop to record, mix and master records to stand out from the crowd. Students must know their way around their DAW and at least one working sample-based virtual instrument and one synth-based plugin. One of our DAW courses in Ableton, Logic or Pro Tools will get you up to scratch for this course. 3rd party weapons of choice are made by Native Instruments and Spectrasonics, but alternative ‘freeware’ can be downloaded legally.
Exclusively delivered by Zack Johnson, who wrote and developed this course. Contact us if you wish to do this course privately with Zack, in person or online. Choose ‘Hip Hop Production’ from the drop-down menu.
Beats & Pieces
- History of the 808, exploring sample-based 808s, and its origins. Learn to make designer 808s using synthesis
- Programming drums and exploring creative ways to use rhythm patterns effectively
- Design drums from scratch using synthesis
- Custom drum kits
- Exploring different compression techniques for drums and bass
- Creative practices editing and modulating drum loops
- In depth to FX on drums
- Exploring sampling styles and techniques using sample-based instruments
- Creating custom sound patches using various sound design concepts
- In-depth look at FX in samples
- In depth look at some of the more popular sample-based used in modern Hip Hop
- All about sample clearance
Synthesis and Sound Design for Hip Hop
- In depth look at some of the more popular virtual instruments used in modern Hip Hop
- Create sounds from scratch using synthesis
- In-depth look into Waveforms, ADSR, Envelopes, and Filters
- Explore additive and subtractive synthesis used in Hip Hop
Recording Vocals and Working with Artists
- How to write instrumentals with a vocalists in mind.
- Learning to leave space in frequency and time for vocals
- Practice working and recording with a professional rapper (TBA)
- Tips and tricks from a professional rapper writing lyrics and melody
- Pitch correction, FX, compression and EQ techniques working with vocals
Mixing & Mastering for Hip Hop
- Creative mixing & mastering techniques unique to Hip Hop
- Song structure and writing top lines for Hip Hop
- Creative strategies and practices for finishing songs
To be in the loop when we release more dates, sign up to our newsletter towards the top right of this page. We don’t send many, you can easily unsubscribe, and we never share our data with anyone, ever.